In just two months, our home aquaponics system is churning out lettuce and basil and the tomato plants are growing unbelievably well.
A few notes:
- Cilantro and pepper plants are currently stunted – but haven’t died – which could be related to water ph.
- There is still a healthy population of aphids on some of the plants (they tend to enjoy the peppers the most and definitely stay away from the basil plants).
- We installed an automatic fish feeder which allowed us to leave for two weeks. When we returned the plants had taken over and had grown into the grow light causing a bit of burning on some of the leaves. It was nice not having to worry about a drought or animals destroying the grow bed.
- We are eating the lettuce and feeding it to the turtle and fish.
- Having different types of fresh basil on hand is certainly nice for cooking. The best part is that we don’t have to worry about it going bad in the refrigerator.
- We have added red wiggler worms to the growing media to consume the solid waste.
Here are a few updated photos of the system.